One of the most popular adventure games of the 1980s is to receive a remake, 26 years after its original release.
Gold Rush! Anniversary, which is set for release next Friday (November 7), takes players back to the discovery of gold in California in 1849. They assume the role of Jerrod Wilson, one of the tens of thousands of American gold seekers (‘forty-niners’) as he travels on one of three possible routes from New York to the West in search of promised riches.
The game has been completely re-developed by Sunlight Games – with high-resolution graphics, speed synthesis, a re-imagined soundtrack and modernised user interfaces being amongst the touted new features.
Doug MacNeill, designer of the original game, said: “Developers interested in making a modern version of Gold Rush! would contact me from time to time, but I was never sure any of them would be able to do it, or do it well.”
“However, after my first interaction with Sunlight Games, I knew they were capable of developing a great remake. Their product has surpassed all of my expectations of quality and creativity”.
The game’s full list of features is as follows:
- Over 130 pre-rendered images and animated cut-scenes all in full HD
- Three different routes to the West – 3 adventures in one game!
- All new high quality voiceovers and re-recorded music
- Optimized game-flow minimizing dead-ends and random perils
- Two control mechanisms – the original parser controls plus an all new intelligent Point & Click control
- Bonus item: Historical map of the three in-game routes
- Bonus item: Over 90 previously unpublished original concept drawings from the developer of the 80’s classic original
Gold Rush! Anniversary will launch on PC digital download stores on Friday November 7, 2014.