Following the release of a teaser trailer for Sonic Runners earlier today, a number of gameplay details for the free-to-play mobile title have emerged.
In an interview with Japanese site Famitsu, lead producer Takashi Iizuka confirmed that the game will release later this month in Japan, and provided some new information on the title’s gameplay, which is summarised below (thanks to NeoGAF user Ghost Messiah):
- The game is a 2D action side-scroller.
- Colour powers and companions are mentioned (possible Wisp powers reference).
- Sonic is playable from the start; Tails and Knuckles must be unlocked.
- The game has one or two minute stages, which contain multi-branching paths.
- Characters run forward automatically, with players determining jump strength.
- New music will be composed for the game.
- Eggman shows up as the end-of-level boss; Sonic must defeat him by deflecting projectiles back at him.
- 50 stages will be available at first; future stages may be added through potential DLC.
How do you feel about Sonic Team and Sega focussing their efforts on producing a free-to-play mobile game? Let us know in the comments!