PlayStation 4 users won’t have to wait much longer for the much-touted suspend/resume feature that has been promised since the console’s launch back in 2013.
Scott McCarthy, Sony Computer Entertainment’s director of product planning and software innovation, informed players via the PlayStation Blog that the highly anticipated feature will roll out in the next major firmware update, 2.50 Yukimura, at some point in the near future.
He said: “When we unveiled PS4 two years ago, we announced Suspend/Resume, a feature that would enable PS4 users to jump in and out of their games faster than ever. This has been a feature gamers have been excited about since then, and today I am honored to officially confirm that system software update 2.50, ‘Yukimura’, will soon deliver Suspend/Resume… to PS4.”
The feature, which will be supported by “nearly all” PS4 titles, will allow users to pause their current game progress when putting their console into Rest Mode, and immediately jump back into the action when they return.
Additionally, the company have also taken a number of community suggestions on board, with the update seeing the inclusion of Remote and Share Play at 60fps, Facebook friend search, Dailymotion support, and more.
The full list of the firmware’s secondary additions is as follows:
- Sub-account to Master account Upgrade: Users with a sub-account will now be able to upgrade to a master account directly from their PS4 when they turn 18, removing restrictions for chat, enabling users to fund their own wallet, make purchases and more.
- Facebook Friend Search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PlayStation Network members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list.
- Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps: For games that support 60 fps, the ability to customize the frame rate of Remote Play and Share Play will be added with “Yukimura.” Play to your bandwidth strengths and use this option to stream gameplay at 60 or 30 fps when using Remote Play or Share Play on supported devices.
- Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make their PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colors on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DualShock 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.
- Trophy Improvements: We have received a ton of feedback to improve Trophies. In “Yukimura,” a screenshot will automatically be captured at the moment a Trophy is earned, making it easier than ever for you to share your greatest gaming moments with your friends. We’re also adding more sorting options along with the new ability to remove games from the Trophy list that have 0% completion.
- Share Video Clips to Dailymotion: When sharing standout PS4 moments via the Share button on DualShock 4, “Yukimura” will allow players to upload directly to Dailymotion.
Are you excited that Suspend/Resume is finally making its way onto the PS4? What do you make of the other features the 2.50 update will bring with it? Let us know in the comments below.