Update: A rep for Epic reached out to confirm that Switch players can still party up with users on PS4 and Xbox One. An earlier edition of this article incorrectly reported that they would not be able to play with users on those platforms.
Fortnite for the Nintendo Switch’s cross-play feature allows players on the device to play the game with friends on different consoles, but that has now changed slightly after an update to the game’s matchmaking system. The Xbox One and PS4 queues have been combined, as have Switch and mobile.
Now, Fortnite Nintendo Switch players will be paired with mobile and Switch players by default if they have opted for cross-play. If not, they will have to party up with Xbox One or PS4 users in order to play with their friends, or else only be able to play the game with other Switch players.
According to the official patch notes:
Battle Royale Crossplay Matchmaking
- Combined Xbox One and PS4 pools.
- This requires you to opt-in to cross-play.
- Players opt-ing out are restricted to Creative Mode and Playgrounds.
- Combined Mobile and Switch pools.
- Before, Switch players were combined with Xbox One and PS4 cross-play parties.
- We expect an on-average better per-game experience for both Mobile and Switch players.
- Motivating factor is unlocking optimization potential allowing us to run more playlists during more hours of the day while supporting more data center locations. Please provide us with feedback on your experience!
I know that pairing people on console with people on PC is a bit unfair because of the difference in controls but that is not a major factor when looking into the differences between console and Nintendo Switch. The basics are the same in this case.
It is also worth pointing out that Sony was not in favour of allowing cross-play to start with and Fortnite was one of the big reasons why the company changed its mind. It will be interesting to see what the fans have to say about the matter and whether or not this decision is final. Epic could be testing the water and trying to figure out what is best for gamers across different platforms.
We will keep you updated regarding the matter, so stay tuned for more information and news.
Let us know what you think about Fortnite Nintendo Switch crossplay matchmaking being changed.