Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is currently in development for current-gen consoles and PC, publisher Square Enix has today confirmed.
The follow-up to the Eidos Montreal-developed 2011 shooter/RPG hybrid Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mankind Divided was revealed today as print magazine Game Informer’s cover story for its May 2015 edition – several hours after a Russian site leaked screenshots from the upcoming game.
Thanks to NeoGAF user MiamiWesker, we have a summary of the gameplay details unearthed in the Game Informer preview:
- Jensen joins a covert government sponsered task force in order to battle a new breed of terrorism.
- There will be boss fights and they will be handled as they were in the DLC, with multiple ways to defeat them.
- Eidos won’t comment on which ending they feel is canon from the last game, thye may take elements from each.
- Augmented people are now considered outcasts, Jensen feels responsible, he wants to redeem himself.
- Jensen wants to uncover who the Illuminati is and bring them down. He joins Task Force 29, a new branch of interpol, who is a group formed to stop augmented-based terrorism.
- They give Jensen all sorts of new augmentations and weapons, but Jensen does not trust them.
- Jensen feeds info to another group called the Juggernaut Collective, a covert group of hackers and spies who want to uncover the Illuminati.
- Devs describe the kind of people in the Juggernaut Collective to be like Fox Mulder style.
- Often times Jensen will receive conflicting mission goals from Task Force and the Collective and you need to choose which side to help out.
- They played an early mission where Jensen was sent to Prague to a camp that now houses the augmented people.
- Prague used to be very progressive, welcoming augs but after the incident they sent them all to an aug ghetto.
- The Task Force has been following an organization called Augmented Rights Coalition (ARC), they have been branded as a terrorist organization, their leader is an activist named Talos Rucker
- When you arrive you notice that the ARC is trying to help the aug population by striking deal with police to get medicine, grow their own food, and ensuring safety for the augs.
- You land in a market district, its very crowded, some people begging for food, cops are arresting an aug.
- The police in this district control the drug the augs need to survive in order to keep control. Jensen will find a doctor who asks for some supply of the medicine, that is one of the side quests you will find. Many NPCs will give out side quests just as these.
- One of your informants got arrested, you can talk to his wife to get info, or cause a scene that scares the wife away but leaves the informants apartment open where you may hack into his computer to find info on Rucker.
- Or you can bypass all that and simply explore and uncover the leads to ARC on your own.
- Devs said depending on how you play you can go the whole mission without speaking to anyone, or speaking to everyone, you can go full combat or full stealth throughout every part of the game.
- Side quests will be meaning full, for instance if you deal with a mob early on later in the game the mob boss will come in asking for a favor in the middle of a different mission. If you do a quest for someone early on odds are they will revisit you later in the story with the repercussions of that mission.
- There are twice as many augments in this game, upgrading and finding them remains the same.
- Tesla is like taser, darts come out of Jensens knuckles and he can lock on and take out up to four guys at once.
- Mark and track is like marking in far cry.
- Smart vision is like batman vision, see enemies through walls, takes lots of energy.
- There is an augment that tracks the mental state of the target to aid in conversation trees.
- There is armor, a non leathal arm cannon, a nano blade that he can now fire at enemies, silent run.
- Icarus system now allows Jensen to dash horizontally.
- There is an augmentation wheel and assignments to the dpad to make using them easier.
- Hacking will be more challenging with more booby-traps and more tools to make it a better mini game.
- The energy system is now like dishonered where there is a certain amount of recharge if you wait after using an augment, there are still biocells.
- They said stealth was not broken so they wont fix it, it will be the same as in HR.
- One mission run was stealthy, they used the tracking and smart vision to avoid enemies, used the blades to knock out others, hacked a ladder to enter vents and they found Rucker without being seen, he remarks he is glad you did not kill his men,
- Depending on how you conduct the conversation he may panic and press an alarm, or go with you willingly.
- The GI mission ended with Rucker saying he may have a terrorist in his group, then he seizes and dies, someone activated his augs to kill him. Now a whole group of armed men are breaking into the room
- The devs know combat was the weakest part of the game so they made sure to make it better.
- GI says it feels like a series of scripted set-pieces but none of it is scripted.
- With the press of a button you can bring up the weapon overlay which allows you to change a weapons fire mode, add augments, change bullets on the fly. They remove the silencer and quick equip some offensive augments.
- They activate the titan shield and bullets bounce right off of him, this is to encourage players to jump into the action and take more risks.
- Later enemies will use the same kinds of tactics against you, police will use mech suits to fight you, you will not be the only super human in the game.
- Enemies will have augments of their own, some have super jumps, some titan shields, they will coordinate tactics to take you down forcing the player to change strategies on the fly.
- Jensen runs into a green house and with enemies in pursuit, the environment can now be interacted with, he shoots a loose wooden rafter down onto enemies.
- He uses that distraction to icarus jump through a second story window into the streets of the city.
- As Jensen runs to his dropship ARC soilders aim to take him out but a general tells them to stand down.
- This is Viktor Machenko, he is huge with an augmented eye and robot arm, the two stare at each other as Jensen takes off.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided does not yet have a release date. Are you excited for the return of the cyberpunk action RPG after a lengthy absence? Let us know in the comments below.