Hybrid ATV buggies will likely be coming soon to Hello Games’ No Man’s Sky, after data miners found extensive evidence of land vehicles in the title’s recent Foundation update.
According to various data files, the vehicles will have vertical boosters, a jet engine and mounted guns; all of which will be upgradable using existing in-game technologies.
In order to receive an ATV, it seems, players must build a specialist vehicle terminal and hire a mechanic, before completing a number of missions to source the components required to construct a buggy.
According to various dialogue options discovered, the hybrid vehicle will support the following upgrades and abilities:
- ATV Jetpack Alpha: A gas-propelled vehicular jetpack system that can be fitted to the Hybrid ATV, to allow short bursts of flight.
- ATV Jetpack Beta: An upgrade to the vehicle jetpack system that increases the maximum altitude and flight range of the unit, improving the versatility of the Hybrid ATV.
- ATV Jetpack Gamma: A further upgrade for the vehicle jetpack system, maximising the altitude and flight range of the unit, and rendering the Hybrid ATV suitable for even the most extreme environment.
- ATV Tune-up Alpha: Improved torque and acceleration, toughened shocks, and a longer range between refuelling for the Hybrid ATV.
- ATV Tune-up Beta: Improved air intakes for higher horsepower, ECU tuning, a strengthened chassis, and a longer range between refuelling for the Hybrid ATV.
- ATV Tune-up Gamma: A high-flow exhaust system for added speed and acceleration, active traction tyres, and maximum range between refuelling for the Hybrid ATV.
- ATV Storage: A proximity-locked, secure parking facility for the Hybrid ATV personal transport.
- ATV Photon Cannon Alpha: Standard ATV-mounted weapons system, comprising twin small-round photon cannons with a dedicated power source.
- ATV Photon Cannon Beta: Improved sighting and recoil dampening, and a longer charge capacity for the Hybrid ATV’s mounted weapons system.
- ATV Photon Cannon Gamma: Improved firing rate, larger capacity and maximised photonic charge for the Hybrid ATV’s mounted weapons system.
It seems likely that the data files discovered closely related to the object and texture files found several weeks ago for a mysterious vehicle, which hackers were able to import into No Man’s Sky through modding:
There has been no official word from Hello Games as to an estimated release date for the vehicle, but due to the completeness of the data uncovered, it may be set to launch in the update the developer is currently working on.